Register for Spring and Summer Classes
Spring Semester Registration Is Open!
Enter the gateway to a transformative education! Registration is completed online and only takes a few minutes. Classes begin February 1. Follow the link below for the schedule, links to course descriptions, and registration.
The 2016 Classical Tibetan Language Summer Intensive
The Classical Tibetan Language Summer Intensive is now accepting applicants. A rare and unique opportunity to establish an excellent foundation for growth and mastery for students at all levels and interest.
The Maitripa College Monlam is three consecutive evenings of pujas (prayer and meditation ceremonies) that culminate on February 22, the full moon Day of Miracles, the first of the four most important Buddha Days of the year. Join [...]
Academics & Admission
Maitripa College is the first Tibetan Buddhist college in the pacific northwest, and was the host of the Dalai Lama Environmental Summit in May 2013. Maitripa College is based on the conviction that Buddhist thought and practice have significant contributions to make to American society and culture. Led by Geshe Lharampa, Yangsi Rinpoche, Maitripa’s educational model is based on the three pillars of Scholarship, Meditation, and Service, providing a contemplative and transformative educational experience. Scholarships and ordained sangha fellowships, flexible schedule, and the attractions of Portland, Oregon, put your affordable graduate degree or continuing education within reach. Maitripa is both a college and Buddhist Meditation Center. Click here to read our Mission Statement and here for quotes from students and alumni about their experience at the College. Explore the links to the right for complete details on how to become part of the Maitripa community.
- Understand Buddhist philosophy in Tibetan and Western scholastic contexts
- Gain proficiency in Buddhist and secular meditation methods and traditional practices
- Optional concentrations in Canonical Languages and Literature, and/or Spiritual Formation
- Study Classical Tibetan language with Western and Tibetan translators
- 44 credit program culminates with qualifying exam or thesis
- Details & Application Information
- Professional theological degree for compassionate care, spiritual leadership, and chaplaincy
- Program emphasizes service in community partnerships, and pastoral and counseling skills
- Opportunities for spiritual community leadership and secular care giving internships
- Learn to apply meditative techniques in oneself and with others
- 72 credit program meets degree criteria for chaplaincy certification
- Details & Application Information
- Join the Maitripa community as a non-degree seeking student
- Explore Buddhist Meditation, Philosophy, and electives
- No application process – simply enroll online each term
- Option to transfer credits into the MA or MDIV degree programs
- Details & Registration Information
- Join the only first-year Classical Tibetan Language summer intensive in the US
- Learn Classical Tibetan in six weeks, with optional translation methodology extension
- Engage in a unique translation training pedagogy for intensive study periods
- Open to beginner to advanced levels
- Credit and non-credit options
- Read More
- Over 50 graduate-level courses offered in sequence over the course of your degree studies, including courses in Buddhist Philosophy, Buddhist Meditation, Theology, Psychology, Contemplative Care and Counseling, the History of Buddhism, Classical Tibetan Language and much more
- View Catalog of All Courses
- Over 3,000 titles in print and multi-media materials, including approximately 2,000 English books, and 1,000 additional titles including videos of teachings and films, audio media for Tibetan language study, magazines and journals, as well as Tibetan, Sanskrit and Chinese works. >More
In the Media
Seven Billion Brothers & Sisters
His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s Hope for the Planet: A Short Film Based on the 2013 Environmental Summit in Portland, Oregon, hosted by Maitripa College
Maitripa College: An Introduction
Visit our YouTube Channel for additional films in this series and more.