International Students at Maitripa College
Maitripa College is honored to welcome international students to our campus. We are committed to supporting you from application to graduation. Cultural diversity and creating global community are among our core values. We value the contributions you will make to our community; your unique history, religious traditions, and philosophical perspective; your experience.
The combination of immersion in Buddhist education that is both rooted in tradition and grappling with modern application, coupled with the incredible beauty and unique culture of Portland, Oregon, creates an excellent environment for learning.
Summary of How to Obtain F-1 Visa Status to Attend Maitripa College
- Apply and be accepted for admission to Maitripa College (follow the link on the right for the current application period and deadlines)
- Provide Maitripa College with documentation of sufficient financing for at least one year of study, including living expenses and tuition
- Maitripa College will issue you an I-20 document
- Sign your I-20 and use it to apply for your F-1 visa at the US Consulate in your home country
After Receiving Your F-1 Visa
- Use your I-20 and F-1 visa to enter the US
- After arriving in Portland, you must check-in with the Maitripa College administrative office, bringing your passport, I-94, and I-20 documents, before the term begins.
- Receive information from our Administrative Office about adapting to life at Maitripa and your F-1 legal obligations
- You must continue to be responsible for maintaining your status and ensuring that you are able to complete your coursework
Maitripa College reports information to the Department of Homeland Security on a regular basis, but you are responsible for understanding your status, ensuring that you are in compliance with all laws, and maintaining your immigration status.
Maitripa College Admissions Policy Requirement
English-Language Competency Scores
- All international applicants for admission to Maitripa College must take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam to show sufficient English language proficiency.
- The International Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is administered by the Educational Testing Services (ETS). Order official TOEFL scores directly from ETS to be sent to Maitripa College, institution code 7290
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Test Report Forms are sent directly from the testing center where you took the exam. Please contact the testing center via the IELTS web site to order official scores.
Graduate applicants must score:
- 6.5 or better on the IELTS exam, with a minimum of 6.5 on reading and writing, or
- 550 or better on the paper-based TOEFL, or
- 213 or better on the computer-based TOEFL, or
- Sub scores of 18 reading, 18 listening, 16 speaking, and 16 writing on the internet-based TOEFL.
Scores submitted are valid for two years from the test date to meet the admission’s requirements. Students should re-take the TOEFL or IELTS exam if it has been more than two years since their previous exam date.
We can use an unofficial copy of your Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score report to evaluate your admissions application. However, Maitripa College must receive an official copy of your score directly from the testing center before the end of your first term of enrollment.
International graduate applicants who do not meet the minimum TOEFL or IELTS score requirements must contact the student services department to initiate a petition for special consideration.
How to Navigate the US Immigration System (Click on the following link): http://www.ice.gov/sevis/students/#