Tsongkhapa Lobzang Drakpa
tsong kha pa blo bzang grags pa
Joona Repo. 2011. “Tsongkhapa Lobzang Drakpa.” Treasury of Lives.
Sparham, Gareth. 2017. “Tsongkhapa.” Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
Thupten Jinpa. 2019. Tsongkhapa: A Buddha in the Land of Snows. Shambhala. JABL
Thurman, Robert. 2018. The Life and Teachings of Tsongkhapa. Wisdom. JABL
Timeline of major events in the life of Tsong-kha-pa
- 1357 — Born in Amdo, northeastern Tibet.
- 1376 — Meets Rendawa, who will become his most important teacher.
- 1388 — Completes Golden Rosary, a two-volume exposition of Maitreya’s Ornament, which seals his reputation as a great scholar.
- 1389 — Teaches seventeen Indian Buddhist texts in a single continuous lecture series.
- 1397 — Experiences a breakthrough in his realization of the profound view of emptiness and, in gratitude towards the Buddha, composes the poetic verse In Praise of Dependent Origination.
- 1398 — Composes Three Principal Elements of The Path.
- 1401 — Begins the composition Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment.
- 1402 — Completes his Great Treatise.
- 1407 — Composes The Essence of True Eloquence.
- 1408 — Authors Ocean of Reasoning, extensive commentary on Nagarjuna’s Treatise on the Middle Way.
- 1415 — Authors Middle-Length Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment.
- 1418 — Authors Elucidation of the Intent, an extensive exposition of Candrakirti’s Entering the Middle Way.
- 1419 — Passes away at Ganden Monastery.
(Jinpa 2019, 381-391)
Thubten Jinpa; Guy Newland; David Seyfort Ruegg; Gareth Sparham; Robert Thurman