- This event has passed.
Meditation 101: Start the New Year with a short, intensive primer on Buddhist meditation!
January 3 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Meditation 101 is an introductory course on basic Buddhist meditation techniques for complete beginners. It teaches basic Buddhist meditations that can be used by anyone to create more peace and happiness in daily life.
Schedule: 7:00-9:00 pm on:
Read full details below and click on the button to register now:
Meditation 101 is presented in several sessions within January 2018, and covers these basic Buddhist meditation techniques:
- what is meditation?
- meditation posture and arranging the body
- purposes and benefits of meditation
- different skills that are used in meditation and useful in daily life
- the difference between meditation and relaxation
- two main types of meditation – analytical and stabilizing
- obstacles to meditation and their antidotes
- setting up a meditation session
- advice for establishing a long-term meditation practice
- using the benefits of meditation in everyday living
- meditation practice
- breathing meditations such as counting the breath and nine-round breathing
- mindfulness meditations such as scanning the body, bare attention, mind like the sky, and mind like the ocean
visualization meditations such as body of light, purification with light
- analytical meditations such as meditation on equanimity, and transforming negative experiences into positive
All are welcome. Each session will present new, sequential lessons, but participants are not required to attend all sessions. Please join us as you are able to do so.
This program is offered free of charge, with gratitude for past donors whose generosity has made present programming possible. If you benefit from this program and would like to contribute to future programs, your donation is gratefully received at the door or online.
Join the Compassion in Action team to assist with the warm, harmonious, and effective dunning of this program. Click below to sign up to volunteer.